Database Administrator - NOSQL
Pearson is the world’s leading learning company, with 40,000 employees in more than 80 countries working to help people of all ages to make measurable progress in their lives through learning. With revenues over €5.2 billion in 2013 we provide learning materials, technologies, assessments and services to teachers and students in order to help people everywhere aim higher and fulﬁll their true potential. We put the learner at the center of everything we do.
We at Pearson Lanka, a core part of Pearson's global Learning Technologies team. We build and manage some of the industry leading cloud based learning platforms that serve millions of students across the world. Over the years, we have built a strong Agile Development team, and we are now looking to expand aggressively over the next 12 months.The industry leading cloud-based technology platforms of Pearson help educate more than 30 million students across the globe.
The 300+ strong engineering team based out of the Colombo office works dedicatedly to service Pearson technology companies located in North America, Europe and Australia.
At Pearson, we aim to be the best company to work for in the world. It is part of our philosophy to provide benefits, profit share plans, development opportunities and a culture that beats anywhere else. If you are 'always learning', and have a passion for technology and creativity, send in your resume and join our exciting engineering culture.
Database Administrator - NOSQL
At Pearson, we maintain some of the very large database systems in the world (using many leading relational and NOSQL products) which spans hundreds of terabytes of storage space and accessed by millions of users constantly. Security, performance and availability of the systems are considered as non- negotiable.
NOSQL technologies are designed to maintain internet scale, ultra large database systems spanning hundreds of servers strategically placed in geographically dispersed data centers.
We are looking for an energetic person who already has experience in Java development and exposure to Linux who is willing to step into the cutting edge database technologies and convert his/her career into NOSQL DBA and to learn and work with existing professional database administrators. Even though the person needs to work with database systems, experience with existing relational database systems is not essential.
The database administrator has dual role in the organization. First he/she should work with development teams in understanding and sizing of user stories, defining day to day tasks and take ownership in planning, design and deployment of database code and maintains the data definition, structure, documentation, long-term requirements, operational guidelines and protection. Secondly, this individual should work on production database servers, monitoring and taking proactive measure to ensure high availability, performance, stability and security of the database systems. The Database Administrator formulates and monitors policies, procedures and standards relating to database management and proposes and implements enhancements that will improve the performance and stability of the system.
Roles and responsibilities
- Proactively monitoring production and non-production servers and enhancing new and existing deployments to meet scalability, availability, security and performance requirements of the organization
- Work with development teams in sizing user stories, planning, designing database schema
- Implementation of database code and deployment
- Maintaining data structures & documentation
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Graduate in CS/IT or similar discipline
- Minimum of two (2) years of total experience in any of the the following:
- software development using Java based technologies and tools.
- system administration on Linux servers
- database administration on any relational or non-relational database system
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Very good understanding of OOP, enterprise application development and agile development principles
- Has experience in various stages of software development including development, performance-analysis, deployment and troubleshooting.
- Very good understanding in JVM.
- Working knowledge with Linux (Redhat/Ubuntu) and some experience in managing resources at OS level.
- Hands on experience in shell scripting using Python (or similar scripting language)
- Experience MongoDB, Cassandra or any NOSQL database systems is preferred, but not essential
- Understanding in database systems and knowledge on high availability features such as replication and clustering is preferred
- Is ready to learn multiple NOSQL technologies.
- Is willing to work as a production DBA and support development efforts.
- Very strong communication skills.
- Is a self-learner
- Good team player
Please submit your CV using the following link http://pearsonlankavacancies.peopleshr.com/