Senior Software Engineer - Perl
Pearson is the world’s leading learning company, with 40,000 employees in more than 80 countries working to help people of all ages to make measurable progress in their lives through learning. With revenues over €5.2 billion in 2013 we provide learning materials, technologies, assessments and services to teachers and students in order to help people everywhere aim higher and fulﬁll their true potential. We put the learner at the center of everything we do..
Pearson Lanka is a core part of Pearson's global Learning Technologies team. We build and manage some of the industry leading cloud based learning platforms that serve millions of students across the world. Over the years, we have built a strong Agile Development team, and we are now looking to expand aggressively over the next 12 months. The industry leading cloud-based technology platforms of Pearson help educate more than 30 million students across the globe.
The 360+ strong engineering team based out of the Colombo office works dedicatedly to service Pearson technology companies located in North America, Europe and Australia.
At Pearson, we aim to be the best company to work for in the world. It is part of our philosophy to provide benefits, profit share plans, development opportunities and a culture that beats anywhere else. If you are 'always learning', and have a passion for technology and creativity, send in your resume and join our exciting engineering culture.
Senior Software Engineer – Perl
The role of a Java Senior Software Engineer will involve working throughout the full development lifecycle. This is a quick moving, Agile environment, working within a variety of technologies with a strong focus on incremental delivery, continuous integration, test driven development (TDD) across web based systems and architectures.
This is an excellent opportunity to join a progressive company who will be expanding and be able to offer a full career for the right individual.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Responsible for the core software engineering tasks in a project team.
- Is required to work with dynamic teams that are driven by project delivery goals.
- Should process the drive to learn and continuously improve on work performances.
- Helps and guides software engineers in writing quality code and brings in industry best practices for continuous improvement of the team.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- At least 2 years of experience in live projects based on Perl including Perl OO concepts, Perl web frameworks (e.g. catalyst, dancer), template toolkit, Perl CGI and testing frameworks within Perl.
- Hands-on experience on Oracle 11g and PLSQL.
- Having basic Linux knowledge
- Self-starter who can work independently while managing your resources to complete tasks in a timely manner.
- Team-worker with strong and effective inter-personal and communication skills and the ability to interact with prompt and professionalism to the teams across different time zones.
- Experience in managing multiple concurrent projects with the ability to mentor and guide team members.
- Excellent troubleshooting, problem solving skills, both technical and domain specific
- Basic experience or knowledge on building, packaging & deployment tools, web and application servers and database technologies.
- Understanding of Agile as a philosophy, Agile frameworks (e.g. Scrum, Kanban, XP), and as a practice (e.g. CI, TDD, ATDD etc).
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Graduate with minimum four (4) years of experience in software engineering and design, preferably with some experience in a leadership role.
Please go to the following link and submit your CV: http://pearsonlankavacancies.peopleshr.com